Cleve Hill Hospital, Downend, Bristol...

Winterbourne Family History Online...

  Return to Archives

The Great War - 1914-1918

Soldiers and Nurses at Cleve Hill Military Hospital

Page 1

In the garden

Robinson

Tickner, S

Robinson, D

White, Patric J

Bidwell, David

Fountain, J

Page 2

Kitchen help

Barber, Dr ML

Clarke, Matron

Hill, Marion

Pullen. Edith

Tuddenham, Ruth

Halliwell, Evelyn

Page 3

An outing

Skilling, Sapper A

Bartram, Pte R

Scott, P

Watson, James

Bateman

Brooks, Sgt

Page 4

Kitchen Staff

Tolerton

Legg, HSM

Lilian, Sister

Cooper, Miss

Meredith, Mrs

Phipps, Miss

Page 5

Kitchen helpers

Gibbons, H

Ahearne, C

Oliver

Dunhill, JH

Ulrich, George

Oakley & Baker

Page 6

VAD Nurses

Bowen, Dorothea

Hardinge

Pearce,C

Bridgman, PM

Francombe, GM

Cadwallader, F

Page 7

Ward 2

Bailey, Pvt NK

Berridge

Betts, Sgt

Booth

Bosworth

Brant

Page 8

Ward 3

Chippendale

Crow

Doherty

Ellis, Sgt

Folley

Green

Page 9

Ward 5

Hope

Iles

Jones

Junton

Lane

Lewis, Sgt

Page 10

Old Contemptibles

Bridgman, P

Marshall, Miss

Pockson, Mrs

Taylor, Sister

Nurse

Nurse

Page 11

3 soldiers

Lines

Maltheus

Millard, Sgt

Pemberton

Penwick

Rhodes

Page 12

3 Nurses

Smith

Southam

Stowey

Walker

Warne

Whitworth, Pvt A

Page 13

Sisters

Nurses & men

A Party

Cricket XI

Page 14

Cooks & Kitchen

8 Patients

Invalids & Nurses

9 Invalids

Page 15

Fancy Dress, Men

ditto     Nurses

ditto     Cooks

ditto     Winners

Page 16

Nov 1918

Nov 1915

At Downend CC

No details

Page 17

April 1915

Matron with cat

Autumn 1915

3 men & 2 nurses

Page 18

Ward 10 - 1916

Ward 2 - 1915

Wills

Wyman

Page 19

Clara Hill and laundry staff

Autograph Book

Kept by Amy Hill of Downend, while at Cleve Hill Hospital

Autograph Book

Kept by May Ellis of Hambrook, while at Cleve Hill Hospital 

     

The Frenchay Village Museum is indebted to the Elliott sisters, Molly & Nancy, of Cliff Court Frenchay, for this collection of fine portraits of soldiers and nurses, and for recording their names. Both Molly & Nancy were members of the VAD and served as nurses at the hospital.

 

The photographs were taken at Cleve Hill Hospital during the years 1914 to 1918.

 

Cleve House, then owned by Mr & Mrs Cave, was converted to a hospital and used throughout the Great War for convalescing soldiers. It was staffed by Red Cross Nurses of the local Voluntary Aid Detachment, with the assistance of a few Queen Alexandra Nurses and a civilian kitchen staff.

 

Of the house there is now no trace. It was situated on the North side of Cleve Hill Road, where the present-day Cleve Lawns lies.

 

 

Details of Mrs Cave's service at Cleve Hill Hospital...

Details obtained with thanks to the British Red Cross WebSite