Winterbourne Family History Online... Return to Photographs
Frenchay Village Then and Now Pictures
Frenchay Common sits adjacent to Frenchay St John Baptist Church and is overlooked by several 18th century homes that were built by successful Quaker families. The common was once home to the Frenchay cricket club, which is known to be the oldest in the country, having been established in 1846. The famous Victorian cricketer, W.G. Grace, was the captain of the club in 1870 and would be seen playing at the common a lot. In the past few centuries, the common has not changed a great deal visually. It is now mostly used for leisure by the public and it is also where Frenchay C of E Primary School is based.
East End of Frenchay Church...
Frenchay Church was built in 1832, commissioned by Mr George Worrall of Frenchay Park and built by Mr Henry Rumley. The church took two years to build. It stood tall and proud for nearly a century until in 1923 when the spire was struck by lightning. This caused severe damage; doors had been dismantled and a lot of piping and flooring had been ruined. Luckily, the stones used in the spire were assessed by Mr Hartland Thomas and were seen fit to be used again. Restoration of Frenchay church than began and the cost was covered all by insurance.
Cleve Tea Gardens
The Cleve Tea Gardens are located on Cleevewood Road and were formerly the Frenchay Upper Iron Works, prior to this in 1798 it was a grist mill. At the time of the Tea Gardens you could hire boats from behind the mill, this was also the last Tea Garden to close in Frenchay and existed until the 1950s. Today it is a private residence.
Frenchay Park Sanitorium
Dating from the middle of the 18th century Frenchay Park was owned by George Worrall, Lord of the Manor at Winterbourne. He gave the accompanying land to build the Parish Church in 1832. In 1916 it was owned by Cosmo Engineering Co. which became the engine division of the Bristol Aeroplane Company. In 1921 it became a children’s sanatorium for Bristol specialising in open air treatment. In 1939-41 it was designated an Air-raid Casualty Hospital, but was never used, and from 1942 – 45 became an American Army Hospital.
Here we see a view up Frenchay Hill from its junction with Quarry Road in the 1950’s. An off license called Glenbrook Store’s once stood here and was run by a Mrs Baber for many years. Further up is Silver Crag, a house used by the Tuckett family in the 19th century as a hospital during times of epidemics, and beyond this the Old Post Office
This view at the bottom of Frenchay Hill shows the location of the Lower Iron Works, built in 1761 9t stood on this site and was owned at one time by Thomas J Croome Hobbs, after whom Croomes Hill was named in Downend.
Frenchay Village Hall
The Frenchay Parish Hall, known to many as the Village Hall, was built in 1909 by public subscription on land given by Francis Fox Tuckett. The architect was Sir George Oatley, who also designed the Bristol University Building.