Winterbourne Family History Online...          Return to Photographs

Frenchay Choir Outing to Weymouth - 18 July 1925

Names needed.

Extract from the Frenchay Parish Magazine for August 1925...

THE CHOIR OUTING. The senior members of the Choir had their annual outing by charabanc, on Saturday, July 18th, Weymouth having been chosen for the tour. The weather, though somewhat dull in the morning, turned out lovely, the sun shining practically all day. Starting from the Church about 8 a.m., they journeyed through Keynsham and Castle Cary. Yeovil was reached, where the first stop was made at 11 a.m.

After half an hour's stay, the party proceeded on through Dorchester, reaching Weymouth at 1 p.m. An excellent dinner was provided at the Crown Hotel, after which some found enjoyment in a trip by boat to view the "Tiger," a ship, stationed in Portland Bay. Others found a swim more to their liking, the water being so clear and tempting.

At five o'clock tea was partaken of at the above mentioned hotel, after which the Rector thanked the Choir personally for the service rendered by them during the past year. He also thanked Mr. Selkirk and Mr. Elliott, on behalf of the Choir, for the excellent arrangements they had made for the day. Mr. Elliott, in reply, said it was indeed a great pleasure to, have the Rector with them on that occasion. Owing to enforced absence, our great friend and late Rector, Mr. Burges, had been unable to be with them during the last three outings. He also hoped this would be the first of many pleasant occasions in which the present Rector would be able to attend.

Mr. May (Organist) also thanked the Choir for their services, stating that is was a real pleasure for him to come down to practices, as well as services. Through their loyal help he had been able to render an anthem on Easter Sunday last, this being the first during his attendance at Frenchay Church. He stated that the organ would shortly be taken to pieces to be cleaned, etc., after which we should have better music still.

The return journey, which occupied about five hours, was commenced at 6 p.m., the route being via Sherborne and Shepton Mallet, where stops were made. Frenchay was reached again at 11 p.m., after a most enjoyable day.