The Adams family, of Frenchay
Winterbourne Family History Online...
Left to right: Phyllis Adams; Catherine Adams; and Hilda Adams.
Phyllis and Hilda Adams lived all their lives at 'Churchside', off Church Rd, Frenchay. The two semi-detached cottages had formerly been occupied by the Adams and Kirk families. Harry Adams had married Mary Kirk and their daughters, Phyllis and Hilda, lived alongside Mary Kirks' family.
At one time, both families ran a laundry at home.
Harry Adams was a gifted wood carver, as were other members of the Adams family, but his occupation was as a quarryman, working with his father Robert, who was a quarry owner.
In this view of 'Churchside', below, The Adams family lived in the right-hand side, and the Kirks lived in the left...
Harry's father, Robert Adams [born 1841] and his mother Elizabeth [born 1845] lived at Quarry Barton and had brought up seven children.
Before her marriage, Elizabeth, nee Turner, had been a teacher at a Winterbourne School.
Robert & Elizabeth's seven children were...
1. Francis Jane Adams [born 1865] married Thomas Tiley. They had no children. After their marriage, they went to America and remained there for 26 years, returning to Hambrook about five weeks before the Great War, 1914-18.
2. Sarah Ann Adams [born 1869], who married F Cane. Their children were Edward, Harry and Bert Cane.
3. Harry Adams [born 1871], who married Mary Kirk. Their children were Phyllis [born 1901] and Hilda [born 1904].
4. Louisa Adams [born 1877], who married G Newman. Their children were Harry, Gilbert and Mildred Newman.
5. Next was a dughter, who died at the age of two years.
6. Eli Ernest Adams [born 1880, died 1938], who married Theodora Constance Edwards [born 1882, died 1960].
Their children were Robert Leslie [born 1904, died 1966] and Catherine Mary [born 1906, died 1975].
7. Maud Adams [born 1881], unmarried.
She had a daughter Beatrice (Dolly) Harriet; details not known.
Many members of the family were buried at Frenchay.
When the Adams girls, Sarah, Louise and Maud, first left school, they all did trouser making at home. Their mother, Elizabeth, often helped them.
The work was sent out from a Bristol factory by carrier, in bundles of a dozen pairs, including pockets, linings and buttons, all cut out and ready to sew up. Workers had to buy their own thread, and it had to be of good quality; otherwise, if the examiner could break a stitch while carrying out the inspection back at the factory, he would throw it back at them to take home and do again!
The pay for this work was seven shillings for a dozen pairs.
For many years, trousers and waistcoats were made in nearly every home in Hambrook and Winterbourne; replacing the making of Beaver Hats at Watley's End.
Photographs and information kindly provided by:
Ms Barbara R Adams.